Founded by the Stroudsburg Civic Club in 1916, the library began its existence in a church basement on Eighth Street in downtown Stroudsburg. Over the past century the library was housed in two churches, the Stroud Mansion, and a Victorian mansion on Main Street (now the home of the Monroe County Bar Association).
In the summer of 1996, library staff and 150-200 volunteers organized to move over 80,000 books to our current home in the Hughes library on Chipperfield and Ninth Street. In addition to the main Hughes Library, the EMPL now includes branches in Pocono and Smithfield Townships and a bookmobile that travels throughout the eastern half of Monroe County. Join us in 2016 as we celebrate one hundred years of service to the people of Monroe County.