Eastern Monroe Public Library
The goal of the Local History and Genealogy Room is to preserve materials that are directly related to the people, history, and development of Monroe County Pennsylvania.
The materials are housed on the second floor at the Hughes Library.
Click here for Local History and Genealogy Room User Policy.
The Local History Room collection includes books, newspapers, census records, cemetery indexes, church records, family histories, online databases, and other materials relating to Monroe County. For additional information about the Local History Room please contact Jim Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 570-421-0800 ex 311.
To keep up with the latest genealogy happenings, log onto the Local History Room Blog and find us on Facebook.
Eastern Monroe Public Library is now a new member of the LDS FamilySearch Affiliate Library Program. Patrons now have access to the microfilm collection of the largest genealogical library in the world. The collection includes over 2.4 million rolls and 727,000 microfiche of microfilmed genealogical records spanning the globe.
FamilySearch’s Microfilm Ordering service is your gateway to a vast collection of genealogical and historical records. The service allows you to reserve and loan films to family history centers and affiliate libraries. The loan is free, but there is a small shipping and handling charge for each film.
Online Film Ordering
- SOUVENIR: Four County Firemen's Association. Stroudsburg, PA. June 16 & 17, 1911.
- ICE HARVEST: Written by local historian Vertie Knapp on the ice harvesting industry of Monroe County Pennsylvania.
- THE MONROE COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY IN THE BEGINNING
- MONROE COUNTY'S FAMOUS SUMMER RESORTS: A vacation guide to Monroe County’s resorts 1916. Complete guide can be viewed in the Local History Room. Hist Ref. 917.4625
- GLEENWOOD HALL BAND of TANNERSVILLE, Pa 1887-1943
- THE BELLS RINGING THE MESSAGE OF PROGRESS IN MONROE COUNTY, PA. AND TRIBUTARY COUNTRY: Where industry and recreation meet, 1915.
- MEMORIES OF MONROE COUNTY: The Monroe County Sesquicentennial proudly presents Memories of Monroe County 1836-1986
- HAND BOOK CAMP DEERBONE: Hand Book of Camp Deerbone Offical Boy Scout Camp of Monroe County District 7, Easton Area County 1930
- STROUDSBURG TAX ASSESSMENT 1872 (Includes Militia Tax)
- EAST STROUDSBURG TAX ASSESSMENT 1871
- COMPANY G CLUB
Links to Online Databases [Library Card Required For Log In.]
- Microfilm Holdings Index
- Genealogy of Local Families
- Local History Room Vertical File
- Assessments Books of East Stroudsburg-Stroudsburg and Stroud Township 1836-1986
- Articles Taken From the Pocono Shopper October, 1992-May, 1997
Local and State Sites
- Monroe County Historical Association
- Monroe County Pennsylvania Township Maps
- Pocono Record
- Northampton County Historical & Genealogical Society
- The Obituary Index Easton Express/Express Times Newspaper
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania
- Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
- Access PA Digital Repository
- Minisink Valley Historical Society
- Pennsylvania History: A Journal of Mid-Atlantic Studies
- Pennsylvania Archives: 138 volume set of reference books
- Museum of Indian Culture
- Historical Maps of Pennsylvania
- Guide To Pennsylvania Historical Resources
- U.S. State Historical Societies & State Archives
- National Archives
- The Library of Congress
- National Newspaper Project
- The USGenWeb Project
- National Genealogical Society
- Federation of Genealogical Societies
- Ancestral Charts and Forms
- Social Security Death Index
- Cyndi’s List
- Ellis Island
- Castle Garden
- Latter-Day Saints
- United States Historical Census
- Daughters of the American Revolution
- NYC Vital Records at the Municipal Archives
- Historic Newspaper: Brooklyn Daily Eagle Online (1841-1902)
- The New York Public Library
Last updated December 4, 2014